Situation – As a result of a series of acquisitions, the business had grown its product portfolio, technology breadth and market presence, establishing a significant foothold in the US to complement its position in Europe. In the process, it had transformed itself into a multi-national participating in a range of global markets.
Challenges – A major division with 12 product lines and 8 locations in NA & Europe was pursuing multiple market segments. With 2 large business units and several smaller ones, the division needed to develop and deploy a more integrated business strategy, rationalize and manage its product portfolio. Another challenge was to move to a marketing vs. sales-driven organization and deploy a product management structure and operating approach.
Actions – Working with the President, Executives and Product Line Teams, rejuvenated product marketing, product line strategies to spur organic growth; fortified product portfolio, boosting ROI, profitability.
- Conducted strategic review of the business including competitive analysis and opportunity assessment. Developed and implemented standardized strategic planning methodology integrating individual product plans.
- Revised marketing strategy to accentuate product positioning and tactical marketing plans. Initiated distributor partnership to improve performance in Aftermarket.
- Created product roadmaps within individual product strategies to optimize ROI on $80 M/yr. R&D expenditure. Roadmaps combined with priority listing of strategic market opportunities to direct new product development and exploration of new technology.
- Divested profitable, yet non-core business.
- Business reorganized allowing integration of product lines, creation of a unified product strategy and prioritized investment to accelerate new product development.
- Acquisition options were evaluatedto add breadth, depth to core product lines. One was executed in a market adjacency, capitalizing on a near-term new product opportunity.
- Orchestrated 11% revenue growth, elevating product go-to-market plans.
- Secured $150 M+ new product opportunity, authored business plan, executed $25 M acquisition.
- Achieved $25 M/yr. margin enhancement, reversing sale decline.
- Optimized ROI on $80 M/yr. new product development, investment allocation.
- Divested business capturing $32 M. Restructured business, unified product line strategy.
By the way, does this remind you of a specific business challenge you are grappling with right now?
I would love to schedule a brief introductory call to learn about what’s going on in your world – and how I might help.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 480-766-1772. I look forward to speaking with you.
Back to Client Impact