Situation – A large division with 18 product lines, 13 locations across NA and Europe competed in several market segments. The business was formed through the combination of 2 divisions with the intent of creating synergies. The market was evolving: Customer expectations had increased, competition had intensified after a round of consolidation, and best practices from different industries were being deployed to help companies enhance their business and operational strategies.
Challenges –A new Marketing approach and Sales organization created more Customer focus, but also issues in terms of linkage with internal business unit Marketing and Sales efforts. With increasing Customer demand for more integrated subsystems and systems vs. products, larger global competitors typically had greater product breadth and depth; and could utilize bundling to gain an advantage. A shift in market demand, created uncertainty around current products, while creating high growth within emerging market segments. To successfully compete and grow, a much more integrated business strategy would be required, to include expansion of capabilities and entry into new market segments.
Actions – Collaborating with Division President, Executives and Product Teams, sharpened focus, aligned product portfolio, drove innovation and change to accelerate sales and profit growth.
- Launched strategic review. Evaluated product portfolio, established business strategy, defined desired product positioning and investment priorities, key account management strategies, operating margin improvement initiatives to drive revenue and profit growth.
- Created integrated go-to-market approachto align Market and Sales, leverage the product breadth, technology base. Coupled strategic planning, joint marketing efforts, M&A strategy.
- Forged strategic allianceto help capture major new product opportunity, fortify competitive position, eliminate product gap and $27 M new product development effort.
- Identified, pursued high-growth markets. Researched emerging market segments, organic and acquisition options to augment current product portfolio, gain market access, build scale. Investment priorities were modified, key account strategies revised, with a large transformational acquisition pursued to catapult market position.
- Conceptualized Operation Bold Strike, targeting #2 market position. Architected strategy, increased internal investment to speed new product launch and strengthen product portfolio, formed strategic partnerships, pursued strategic acquisitions.
- Achieved record-setting growth – 8%/yr. revenue and profit targets.
- Created $400 M+ revenue stream, forging strategic alliance. Eliminated $27 M investment.
- Initiated acquisitions to secure $180 M/yr. opportunity, #2 market position.
- Pioneered entrance into high growth markets, conceptualizing transformational business strategy.
Tired of not meeting your growth goals? What I know from my own personal experience, is that there is always another level of excellence that will lead to greater success.
I’d love to jump on a quick call to talk about where you are on your growth journey.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 480-766-1772. I look forward to speaking with you.
Back to Client Impact